Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Unity Tutorial 03



Todays lab was really enjoyable for me. Creating the clock tutorial within unity was quite simple but fun. It's tutorials like these that I feel you benefit from the most because they are teaching you the basics and it's at a nice step-by-step pace. I learned a lot about how parent and child grouping is important when creating an object, as it allows you to have more control over the object as a whole. I found the part where you had to create the clock hour and then duplicate and rotate every hour by 30 degrees to be particularly helpful as I've used Unity before and was not aware something like this could be so easy to create. The use of the object hierarchy here and then deleting the object was also very helpful and something to remember for future tasks.

Something I struggled with was animating the clock. I could understand the basics of the #C scripting language but when it came to rotating the arms, I couldn't implement the code correctly. I'm not sure why it wasn't working for me properly, perhaps it was just an issue with a missing character. However, I carried on and continued editing my script in the MonoDevelop programme and implementing same.

I am now really looking forward to making a start on building a game within the Unity environment. Unity is a really great tool and has so many cool features available that make it fun to use when it comes to game development and design. I am enjoying the Jimmy Vegas series on YouTube as well, he makes it a lot easier to understand certain features and how to do certain things.

No comments:

Post a Comment