Thursday, November 15, 2018

Let the Unity Free Tutorials commence!


So today I started looking up tutorials specifically dedicated to how I want to design my game. Since my game is going to be adventure based, it's important my world looks impressive and exactly how I imagine it to look and how I've described in my GDD. The player should be able to explore the area and enjoy walking through the terrain. 

One of the first tutorials I looked up was how to make the terrain look realistic. I had the basic grass material imported from google images and then applied to the terrain but it's not what you would called 'realistic' looking. The tutorial I followed showed me how to apply grass in a 3D form that also allows you to play around with the colour, texture, height and even the wind speed at which the grass moves, so when you press play on the game you can see the grass swaying from side to side. The wind speed can also be changed for the trees too which adds to the overall realistic feeling. We touched on this in the Jimmy Vegas series but I wanted to find more tutorials on this so I can get the effect and atmosphere I'm looking for.

I have looked at how to make a small campsite using 3D objects and importing some assets, and also a fire in my game using a particle system within Unity. The particle system was really simple to create and gives such a cool effect, a really useful tool for creating various effects in your games. You could create a number of items in your game using the particle system, a water fountain, rain, fog, flames etc and you can change the colours and radius of the system to whatever effect you're looking for. I will be looking more into the particle system going forward because it will be very handy to know about. 

Weather will be a big feature in the game I plan to create. I want to have quite an eerie, cold and misty feel throughout. In the tutorial I watched, we created fog using two different settings, one with a particle system again and the other was a setting already in Unity which allowed for some settings changes like density and radius etc. This setting is quite useful if you want to have the distance of your game appear blurred out or misty. It might be handy if you plan on not having endless rolling hills or mountains and terrain in the background. 

(my current Unity progress/game in the making)

The last tutorial I really wanted to search for was how to make the HUD for my game. The main character in my game will collect objects as she roams the world and they will need to be shown how many she has collected. The tutorial showed me how to make this within Unity and also using some C# coding. The C# coding is still something I am struggling to get my head around as I always have done with most programming throughout the course. I did find it difficult to get this to work so I will be focusing on watching more tutorials around this as I move forward with my game as I do want to include it and add it to my finished piece. 




No comments:

Post a Comment