Sunday, October 28, 2018

My Game Design Document


This week was the beginning of focusing on the actual Game. I really enjoy this part of the module - researching various games and the approach in which I will take to make my own is exciting. The thought processes and brainstorming behind the development of a game is crucial, but really fun. You can make pretty much whatever you want to make. 

My thought process behind the game I intend to make was inspired by watching the film 'Castaway'. The story behind that film was pretty simple, Tom Hanks Plane crashes into the sea and he ends up being deserted on an island in the middle of nowhere, miles from civilisation. I have based my game on a story similar to the film, but I have put my own spin on it and decided to create an environment where it wasn't a beautiful sunny beach with palm trees and blue skies, except an environment where it's desolated and almost eerie - with no sign of civilisation, dark murky skies and a mist which sets all around giving the unknown land a chilling feel. 

In my introduction in my GDD, I go on to describe what exactly the game is about and how to play. The concept is relatively simple. The player ends up washed ashore, finds a map, has to find and collect the objects on the map, locate the village (in which the last object on the map is in) and ask for help to be rescued, pointed in the direction of a bridge crossing a river and it is there where they will be rescued and so, the game is complete. 

As a design student, I do feel it is important that the game looks well and the global elements should also play a big role in the overall gameplay. I have researched various games and one that sticks out to me the most is Resident Evil - that type of feel will be obvious throughout my design. I have also added some images into my GDD for visual representation from Pripyat, a town in Ukraine which was the setting for the Chernobyl disaster. Here is an image from Pripyat, which could be considered a good representation of my proposed game visually. 



Gameplay is obviously one of the most important factors, your game might look good visually but who would want to play it if there was no real purpose or objective. I didn't want to make the usual POV shooter game, I'm not really big into violence so that was a no go from me. I have decided to make an adventure style 'find the hidden gems' type of game though, this can be played by anyone from the ages of 7 and up, or someone who understands the concept of finding and locating hidden items at least. The main objective is obviously just Collection. Many platformer video games (such as the 'Spyro') included levels where you had to collect a certain number of objects scattered throughout the level, and so I thought this would be fun to build and play and also roam around the world and explore.

To find out a bit more about the game I intend to make I have included a link to my Game Design Document for further reading  https://www.dundoc.com/project/4784/uwxa8xk520

No comments:

Post a Comment